Friday, February 19, 2010

Tightening the (Hermès) Belt

I am humbled by ... and appreciative of ... the downturn in my personal economy. It has given me the opportunity to reflect on the excesses. The non-essentials. My perspective altered, I have slimmed down my needs and am the better off for it. I can almost turn on a dime. In fact, if I wasn't a homeowner I know I could.

The most amazing discovery is that I don't feel something really terrible has happened. The shrinking of my client base affords me a glimpse out of and around the box. To refashion my life. Toss out the superfluous. Emotionally. Spiritually. Psychically. Retain the essentials. Treasure the life lessons. Trim the fat. Literally and physically.

There are things I cannot live with out, the essentials, for breathing life through my being. Others make my heart sing and add to my well-being and sense of self. While a few are what my mom would call frivolous, they add to my feeling of self-worth. Others are just plain unnecessary. Over the top for my renewed pick-up-and-go lifestyle. I can improvise and not really miss a thing. Though I am able to play tic-tac-toe from time to time on my 18th century English mahogany bowfront chest in my gorgeous living room.

Essentials that create a full, contented life ... mutually exclusive, each:
  • My darling Charlie, Mom and sisters
  • My dear friends near and far, past and present
  • Exploring life and its infinite discoveries
  • Living as my best self
  • A roof over my head
  • Making a home, a home
  • Traveling to anywhere and nowhere
  • My dreams
  • Imagining the possibilities, always

Other non-negotiables:

  • A valid passport
  • TaB
  • A good manicure and pedicure every month
  • Quadband cell phone
  • Cheryl, my colorist
  • Lotos
  • A new laptop every 3 to 4 years
  • Netflix
  • Sushi
  • A printer and copier
  • Health insurance
  • A gently used Volvo wagon
  • A library card
  • Chocolate chip cookies
  • Entertaining on a shoestring
  • Tylenol PM

Non-essentials:

  • iPhone, Blackberry or any other 3G souped up phone with aps
  • A fax machine
  • Weekly bunches of freshly cut tulips from December to May (sadly)
  • TV channels above UHF 21
  • A cleaning lady
  • Premium brand cosmetics
  • Middle of the night anxiety dreams
  • Jewels and bling
  • New fashions of the season
  • 500 count sheets and boudoir pillow cases
  • Shopping (so as not to be tempted)

You know ... the universe has a way of sending us messages most sublime. When the student is ready, the teacher will come. She is here. And I have grown immeasurably. But a collagen injection or two wouldn't alter that. Or would it ;-)

Cheers ... clinking the martini glasses proffered at Zayres decades ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment