My Charlie loves his food. Our food. The tastes of his childhood. Our family. In fact, he has never met a meal he hasn't liked. It is a pleasure to cook for him.
So it comes as no surprise that in this, the week before his departure to a new life in Hong Kong, that he requests some of his favorite meals. Just for sweet, delicious memories.
Kentucky Cold Browns, fish tacos and maple chipotle meatloaf sandwiches top the list. Recipes follow:
KENTUCKY COLD BROWNS
- On 2 slices of rye toast spread 2 T of thousand island dressing.
- Top with chilled turkey slices,
- Sliced tomatoes,
- A sliced hard boiled egg,
- 3 strips of crisp bacon, and
- Several pieces of Kentucky Bibb lettuce.
- Dress with more thousand island dressing
Serve with potato chips and sweet pickle spears.FISH TACOS
- Bake 1 pound haddock or other firm white fish in taco seasoned marinade until flaky.
- Assemble tacos from the following: soft flour tacos seasoned with habanero peppers, baked sweet potato chunks, shredded red cabbage, sliced avocados, chopped tomatoes, chopped scallions.
Serve with Cuban black beans and cilantro rice. Add dollop of sour cream, salsa and corn relish, as desired.MAPLE CHIPOTLE MEATLOAF SANDWICHES
- Mix 2 pounds ground round 90% fat with chopped white onion, craisins, garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste.
- Add 1/2 bottle Stonewall Kitchen Maple Chipotle Sauce and form into loaf.
- Cover with remaining sauce and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- Chill overnight (or for 4 hours) and slice.
- Place on nine grain bread spread with Hellman's mayonnaise and maple chipotle sauce. Top with lettuce leaf and tomato.
CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD
- Poach three deboned, skinless chicken breasts.
- Chill then cut into cubes.
- Place in mixing bowl with 1 cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup sultanas or golden raisins, 1/2 cup sliced almonds.
- Add chopped granny smith apple (optional).
- Mix together: 1/2 cup sour cream with 1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise.
- Add curry powder to taste and blend with chicken.
Serve as a salad on soft lettuce leaves. Or, on a whole wheat wrap.